Rain Barrel Workshops
Thank you to everyone who participated in 2013
The City of Dublin offered residents the opportunity to purchase rain barrels at a discount by signing up for a rain barrel education class at the Dublin Community Recreation Center. Six classes were held with over 105 participants.
It’s Greener in Dublin because of you.
From the Scioto River and Indian Run Falls to ponds and fountains, Dublin’s waters define our city. We share our water resources, and, likewise, share responsibility for protecting and conserving those water resources whenever possible. Rain barrels are a great way to protect Dublin’s waters by reducing stormwater pollution and waste.
What is a Rain Barrel?
Rain barrels connect to downspouts to collect rainwater from roofs. The collected water can be used to water gardens.
Modern rain barrels:
- Come in a great variety of colors, styles and designs to complement your home’s look.
- Are closed containers to prevent children, pets and mosquitoes from getting in.
- Have a spigot so rainwater can be easily accessed and used to water gardens and flower beds. Come in easy, ready-to-install kits.
Rain Barrel Benefits
- Safely and efficiently reduce water use and water bills!
- Protect our river and streams and decrease storm drain floods by reducing the amount of rain that enters drains during major storms.
- Plants prefer rainwater over hose water because it is chlorine-free.
- Using less water in our yards conserves limited freshwater resources for future generations.
- Rain barrels made of natural materials, designed to appear similar to a wood barrel, planter, stone boulders or similar may remain as constructed and are not to match in color the attached building.
- Plastic rain barrels must be neutral in color, painted to match your house, or match as closely as possible.