(Dublin, OH) Dublin City Council approved $194,060 in hotel/motel tax grants for 2017 at its meeting on December 5, 2016. The grants are being awarded to applicants who outlined a commitment to events that enhance visitor appeal and encourage overnight stays in Dublin.
Priority is also given to projects that reach a broad segment of the community, attract positive coverage in local, regional and national media, and build Dublin’s reputation as a destination city. Grants will not be considered for race events that require public road closures.
The grants are funded through the City’s Hotel/Motel Tax Fund, which is designed to improve the quality of life for Dublin residents, corporate citizens and visitors. Dublin generates funds from a 6% tax on overnight stays at the 15 hotels in the City. Those funds are invested back into the community through designated projects and events that encourage support of Dublin businesses, restaurants and attractions.
The full list of 2017 grant recipients is as follows:
- Arthritis Foundation Classic Auto Show and Cruise-in – Cost of City services not to exceed $10,000
- Dublin Kiwanis Frog Jump – Cost of City services not to exceed $5,000
- Dublin A.M. Rotary Blarney Bash – Cost of City services not to exceed $10,000
- Dublin Soccer League Charity Cup – Not to exceed $13,798 as itemized in grant application
- Club Ohio Soccer–Nike Cup and Fall Classic – Cost of City services not to exceed $11,000 for the Nike Cup and $2,000 for the Fall Classic
- National Intercollegiate Flying Association: Safecon – $10,000 to assist with Safecon2017
- Dublin Jerome High School Homecoming Parade (2016 event cancelled, funds encumbered in 2016) – allow the funds awarded to 2016 ($1,112) to roll over to 2017
- Dublin Youth Athletics – Wayne Williams Memorial Tournament Cost of City services not to exceed $22,150
- Dublin Scioto Lacrosse Boosters–Ohio Middle School Boys State Lacrosse Championship – Cost of City services not to exceed $8,000
- Dublin United Soccer Club–Dublin United Champions Cup – Cost of City services not to exceed $4,000
- Ohio Premier Soccer–Ohio Premier Invitational – Cost of City services not to exceed $7,000
- Historic Dublin Business Association – Community engagement not to exceed $50,000
- Dublin Arts Council – waiver of City services and grant of $23,000 as seed money for the BREAD! Festival
- Ohio University Tantrum Theater – grant not to exceed $18,000 as seed money to assist with housing and hiring additional theater professionals for the summer season
- Grant’s SIDS – grant not to exceed $1,000 to assist with walk in Coffman Park
For more information, visit DublinOhioUSA.gov/taxation.
Sarah McQuaide, Public Information Officer
614.410.4523 – Desk
614.593.9438 – Cell