Watch this video, which is based on real crimes reported to Dublin Police during the 2015 holiday shopping season.
(Dublin, OH) – The Dublin Police Department is reminding residents to take steps to prevent vehicle break-ins, especially during the holiday shopping season.
The message Dublin Police would like to send is simple – don’t lose it. “It” can be your purse, your laptop or loose change. Thieves also often target electronics and wallets, and this time of year – all those holiday gifts in your car. To help prevent these thefts, police suggest that you hide your valuables or take them with you and always lock your vehicle.
Help prevent theft from your vehicle by taking these steps:
- If you have more than one stop in a shopping trip, hide your newly purchased items before you leave the first store. Police suggest putting your items in the trunk if your vehicle has one.
- On quick shopping trips, only take with you what is needed for that errand.
- Park in well-lit, high-traffic areas and lots.
- Avoid leaving cash or loose change in cup-holders or other places in plain sight.
- Stash the evidence of valuables, too, including chargers, auxiliary cords and suction-cup mounts for navigation systems.
- Completely close all windows and sunroofs. You don’t want to make it easy for thieves to reach in your vehicle. Also, open windows can disable the pressure sensors in some car alarms.
If you see a crime in progress, which includes someone breaking into a car or home, call 911. If you see a suspicious person or vehicle, report it. For any non-emergency situations, please contact the Dublin Police at 614.889.1112.
Be smart. Stay safe. Additional information about vehicle break-in prevention can be found on the Dublin Police website at: http://dublinohiousa.gov/dublin-police/dont-lose-holiday-season/.
Senior Public Information Officer
614.410.4504 – Desk
614.704.9742 – Cell
@DublinOhio | @DublinPolice | www.DublinOhioUSA.gov