With the cold weather just around the corner, don’t forget to winterize your rain barrels before a hard freeze causes the water inside to freeze. Water freezing inside the barrel can damage the barrel to the point it renders it useless! Rain barrels can remain in place, but should be secured so they do not blow away in the harsh winter winds. Follow the steps below to keep your rain barrel in good working condition for years to come.
- Disconnect from the downspout. If you purchased your rain barrel through the City’s Rain Barrel Workshop, all you have to do is remove the connector hose and diverter from the downspout and attach the gutter plug provided in your kit. Barrels not purchased from the City may have other methods to disconnect – please review your instructions for the proper method of disconnection.
- Drain the barrel completely. Open all spigots and plugs to allow the water to drain out. Keep the spigot open for the period of un-use so any water trapped in the spigot will not freeze and damage it. If there is sediment in the bottom of the barrel, rinse it out now so you are ready to hook up in the spring.
- Store or secure in place. If you have room, store the barrels and connection inside a structure. If you do not have room, turn the barrel upside down and secure it in place with a heavy rock.
It’s Greener in Dublin because of you.
From the Scioto River and Indian Run Falls to ponds and fountains, Dublin’s waters define our city. We share our water resources, and, likewise, share responsibility for protecting and conserving those water resources whenever possible. Rain barrels are a great way to protect Dublin’s waters by reducing stormwater pollution and waste.
What is a Rain Barrel?
Rain barrels connect to downspouts to collect rainwater from roofs. The collected water can be used to water gardens.
Modern rain barrels:
- Come in a great variety of colors, styles and designs to complement your home’s look.
- Are closed containers to prevent children, pets and mosquitoes from getting in.
- Have a spigot so rainwater can be easily accessed and used to water gardens and flower beds. Come in easy, ready-to-install kits.
Rain Barrel Benefits
- Safely and efficiently reduce water use and water bills!
- Protect our river and streams and decrease storm drain floods by reducing the amount of rain that enters drains during major storms.
- Plants prefer rainwater over hose water because it is chlorine-free.
- Using less water in our yards conserves limited freshwater resources for future generations.
- Rain barrels made of natural materials, designed to appear similar to a wood barrel, planter, stone boulders or similar may remain as constructed and are not to match in color the attached building.
- Plastic rain barrels must be neutral in color, painted to match your house, or match as closely as possible.