Tips for correctly flying your American flag:
- If you cannot illuminate your displayed flag at night, please take it down at dusk.
- Remember to take down a flag if it is raining or there is bad weather, unless it’s an all-weather flag.
- When hanging a flag from a pole projecting from a building, be sure the blue corner (union) is located at the top of the hanging flag and is farthest away from the building.
- The flag cannot touch anything that is below it, especially the ground.
- If your flag is in poor condition, take it down permanently and visit an American Legion or VFW post for proper flag burning ceremonies. Do not throw American flags in the garbage.
Source: Veterans of Foreign Wars
Flag Display FAQ: http://www.legion.org/flag/faq