The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has caused large gatherings to be put on pause in 2020 and the Dublin Irish Festival (DIF) is no exception. The largest celebration of Irish heritage in North America was canceled earlier this year as a precaution to reduce the spread of the novel coronavirus. But this decision cannot stop the spirit of this three-day extravaganza. In order to celebrate the 33rd anniversary of the Dublin Irish Festival and to keep the tradition alive, this year’s event is going virtual! It’s all taking place at DublinIrishFestival.org.
This year’s theme is the statement “Sláinte,” which is Gaelic for “cheers to your health,” has a new meaning for 2020 and will continue as the them for the 2021 Dublin Irish Festival.
Dublin Irish Festival participants can celebrate their way from wherever they are in the world. Check out the following activities for a 2020 DIF “do it yourself” experience that will make for another unforgettable event!
- Get a Front Row Seat at our Streaming DIF Concert
- See and hear your favorite Irish Festival musicians and discover new ones from the comfort of your own home.
- Listen to Stories from Behind the Scenes
- Hear Festival stories from familiar names and faces including Founders, Volunteers, Entertainers and more.
- Lace up Your Shoes for the IGS Energy/DIF Virtual 5K & Kids Run
- The race must go on. Run, jog or walk your 3.1 miles anytime during Friday, July 31 – Sunday, August 2. Then submit your time and stop by the Columbus Running Company to pick up your medal.
- Stir up a Celtic Dish or Two
- Make DIF food favorites from the comfort of your own kitchen using recipes from your favorite Festival chefs.
- “Toast and Taste” Jameson’s Irish Whiskey Favorites
- Say “Sláinte” from wherever you are during the Virtual Whiskey Tasting Event hosted by Barry Chandler.
- Fun for the Wee Folk
- Find the Pot ‘O Gold at the End of the Rainbow: Treasure awaits at the end of the Rainbow Hunt in Coffman Park taking place July 28 – August 2.
- Build Your own Sand Sculpture: Shape sand into an Irish-themed creation. Best entries will be featured on DublinIrishFestival.org.
- Download Celtic Coloring Pages
- Enter Contests
- Reddest Hair Contest: Red heads of all ages can send in their best selfie using #DIFredhair on Instagram. Set your profile to public so that your entry can be submitted. Winners will be featured on DublinIrishFestival.org.
- DIF Trivia Contest…No Phoning a Friend: Show how much you know about the Dublin Irish Festival at 7 p.m. this Thursday, July 30. Visit DublinIrishFestival.org for more details.
- Dance with the Irish Stars: Show us your Irish dance moves! We’ve set up a TikTok Dance challenge. Check out the dance @DublinIrishFest TikTok, tag @DublinIrishFest plus two friends and use the hashtag #DIFdancechallenge.
- Who Let the Celtic Canines Out?: No petting is allowed but you can see and learn about your favorite Irish dog breeds.
- Enjoy a Jig Jam Session
- Missing your favorite Irish tunes? Tune into the Dublin Irish Festival Historical Spotify playlist with hits from International entertainers from the last five Festivals.
- Shop to Your Hearts Content
Be sure to follow the Dublin Irish Festival media to connect and share what you love most about this year’s virtual Festival!
Save the date for the 2021 Dublin Irish Festival: August 6-8. Here’s to the hope of celebrating in person next year. Sláinte!
Public Information Officer
614.230.4683 – Cell
614.410.4523 – Desk