(Dublin, OH) The Abbey Theater of Dublin presents a virtual performance of “We Served,” a play created by veterans about veterans, streaming online from Wednesday, Nov. 11 through Sunday, Nov. 15.
The production is a series of 12 vignettes created during a year-long project based on personal experiences of veterans in Central Ohio. Four of the 12 vignettes will be presented in this special showing, which features both veteran writers and actors. The full-scale, world premiere of “We Served” is set for May 2021.
Tickets are $5 per stream and audiences can purchase their ticket on the Abbey Theater’s website at DublinOhioUSA.gov/Abbey-Theater. A link to the virtual performance will be sent to registrants to be viewed for a limited time.
The origin of “We Served” began when director/facilitator Rebecca Zelanin developed a writer’s group at the VA Central Ohio Healthcare System Arts Program. In October 2018, a group of veteran writers gathered each week at the Veterans Administration on James Road in Columbus, Ohio.
Through group collaboration, 12 vignettes representing an arc of military service evolved. Most of the 17 veteran-writer contributors are Vietnam-era veterans, but the vignettes provide a uniquely universal view of the military experience from recruitment to recovery.
“It is our hope that if you served, then “We Served” will resonate with you,” Zelanin said. “If a friend or family member has served or is currently serving, then “We Served” may help you better understand what it is to be a soldier and what it means to serve.”
Five of the 12 actors appearing in these preview vignettes are veterans. The following production credits include the play’s authors, vignette titles and the cast list with special recognition to those who served in parentheses.
- Veteran Authors: Brenda Allen (Army), Fred Brown, Jim Coe (Army), Don Daugherty, DC Ford (Navy), Richard A. Isbell (Air Force), Joseph Lariosa, Tony Ludovico (Army), Henry Rodgers Mayo (Navy), Bernie Pontones, Jeremy Rhynes (Marines), John Skaggs (Navy), Zack Space (Air Force), Steve Sparks (Army), Mark Spearman, Tom Zelanin (Air Force)
- “Through the Rockets Red Glade”
- Author – Zack Space (Air Force Veteran)
- Narrator – Harold Yarborough
- “It Never Happened”
- Sergeant Roberts – Rick Harrison Isbell
- Commander – Tom Zelanin (Air Force Veteran)
- “Thank You for Your Service”
- 1st Woman- Anita McFarren
- Veteran – Tony Ludovico (Army Veteran)
- Sergeant Ward – Jeremy Rhynes (Marine Veteran)
- Master Sergeant Nelson – Benjamin A. Turner
- 2nd Woman – Rebecca Zelanin
- Pam – Jordan Turner
- Jenny – Maleha Jallaq
- Wayne – Jeremy Rhynes (Marine Veteran)
- Daisy – Anita McFarren
- Jim – Leland Leger (Air Force Veteran)
- Ben – Rick Harrison Isbell
- Deana – Ahlam Jallaq
- Director/Facilitator/Editor: Rebecca Zelanin
- Producer: Joe Bishara
- Promotional Art: Richard A. Isbell (Air Force)
In addition to the virtual performance, the City of Dublin will also honor veterans on Nov. 11 with a virtual ceremony video that will be posted to the City’s website and social media channels. This is in place of the traditional in-person ceremony that the City has hosted annually. However, due to the ongoing coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and current mass gathering restrictions, the City of Dublin has reimagined this event to provide a safe experience for all while still honoring the brave men and women who served our country.
During this time of physical distancing, the City also encourages community members to pay special tribute to veterans:
- Call a veteran to thank them for their service.
- Visit a cemetery and decorate veterans’ gravesites with flags and flowers.
- Participate in the Veterans Day Moment of Silence and reflect on the service and sacrifice of all veterans, past and present. Pause for two minutes of silence at 2:11 p.m. EST.
- Sharing a photo on social media of a family member or friend who has served.
For more information about the Abbey Theater of Dublin productions and the City of Dublin’s Veterans Day ceremony, visit DublinOhioUSA.gov and follow the City’s social media accounts on Nextdoor, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram.