Interested in backyard conservation? The Community Backyards program offers Dublin residents a $50 reimbursement on the purchase of a rain barrel (one reimbursement per household). Together, Dublin and Franklin Soil and Water strive to promote stormwater education within Franklin County while promoting the use of rain barrels and rain gardens. This helps introduce residents to backyard conservation practices including composting, using native plants and trees in your landscape and responsible lawn care maintenance. Keeping rain where it falls and using it as a resource keeps our watersheds healthy and safe!
Read more about Franklin Soil and Water Conservation District and the Community Backyard program on their website at http://www.communitybackyards.org/default.aspx
To receive a $50 rebate for a rain barrel, attend a workshop in person or online and take an easy online quiz. Learn more: www.communitybackyards.org/participate.
To receive your reimbursement for your rain barrel purchase, you must submit a voucher and valid receipt with photos of installed item to Franklin Soil and Water. You can also purchase an item from one of the local participating retailers to receive an immediate discount and not wait for a reimbursement to be sent to you.
Please contact Franklin Soil and Water Conservation District at 614.486.9613 or visit www.communitybackyards.org.
What is a Rain Barrel?
Rain barrels connect to downspouts to collect rainwater from roofs. The collected water can be used to water gardens.
It’s Greener in Dublin because of you
From the Scioto River and Indian Run Falls to ponds and fountains, Dublin’s waters define our city. We share our water resources, and, likewise, share responsibility for protecting and conserving those water resources whenever possible. Rain barrels are a great way to protect Dublin’s waters by reducing stormwater pollution and waste.
Modern rain barrels:
- Come in a great variety of colors, styles and designs to complement your home’s look.
- Are closed containers to prevent children, pets and mosquitoes from getting in.
- Have a spigot so rainwater can be easily accessed and used to water gardens and flower beds. Come in easy, ready-to-install kits.
Rain Barrel Benefits
- Safely and efficiently reduce water use and water bills!
- Protect our river and streams and decrease storm drain floods by reducing the amount of rain that enters drains during major storms.
- Plants prefer rainwater over hose water because it is chlorine-free.
- Using less water in our yards conserves limited freshwater resources for future generations.
- Rain barrels made of natural materials, designed to appear similar to a wood barrel, planter, stone boulders or similar may remain as constructed and are not to match in color the attached building.
- Plastic rain barrels must be neutral in color, painted to match your house, or match as closely as possible.
How to Winterize Your Rain Barrel
Some general tips for all rain barrels:
- Remove the hose connecting the downspout to the rain barrel. Plug the opening with a downspout plug.
- Drain your rain barrel completely and allow it to dry.
- Make sure the inside of your rain barrel is free of debris and sediment.
- Store your rain barrel inside, or turn it upside down and place a weight on top so it isn’t blow away while not in use.